|Ernest "Ernie" Macmillan|
Assistant Director of the Daily Prophet
Dumbledore's Army Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Hufflepuff Macmillian family Bones family Order of the Phoenix (during the Battle of Hogwarts
- "Personally I think this is really important, possibly more important than anything else we'll do this year, even with our O.W.L.s coming up. I, personally, am at a loss to see why the Ministry has foisted such a useless teacher on us at this critical period. Obviously, they are in denial about the return of You-Know-Who..."
- —Ernie Macmillan on Dumbledore's Army
Ernest "Ernie" Macmillan (b. 1980) was a pure-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1991 to 1998 and was sorted into Hufflepuff house. He was an academically strong student and good friends with Hannah Abbott and Justin Finch-Fletchley. In 1992, Ernie initially suspected that Harry was the Heir of Slytherin during the opening of the Chamber of Secrets in his Second year, and was upset when Justin was petrified, though he eventually learned the truth. In his fifth year, Ernie became a member of Dumbledore's Army, an organisation found and led by Harry for the purposes of learning practical defensive magic. He joined the D.A. again when it was re-instated during his seventh year, opposing Death Eater control of Hogwarts and fighting in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998. Later he married his former roommate, Susan Bones and has two children.
- "...in case you’re getting ideas, I might tell you that you can trace my family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks and my blood’s as pure as anyone’s..."
- —Ernie yelling at Harry Potter during the Chamber of Secrets incident
- Professor McGonagall: "Prefects, when I give the word, you will organise your House and take your charges in an orderly fashion to the evacuation point."
- Ernie Macmillan: "And what if we want to stay and fight?"
- — Minerva McGonagall and Ernie shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts
Battle of HogwartsEditOn 2 May, 1998, Harry, Ron and Hermione returned to Hogwarts as Voldemort approached with his army. A meeting was held in the Great Hall, and when Professor McGonagall laid out the plans to evacuate the younger students from the school, Ernie indicated his willingness to fight against the Death Eaters by directly asking McGonagall about those who wished to remain behind. His question was applauded by a number of students who held similar feelings.
During the subsequent battle, Ernie, along with Luna Lovegood and Seamus Finnigan, came to the aid of Harry, Hermione, and Ron by using their Patronuses to drive off a group of Dementors. Ernie's took the form of a boar.
Ernie and after the battle at Hogwarts and his graduation became Assistant Director of the Daily Prophet, the top job after Barnabas Cuffe's. He married Susan Bones and had two children. Irene was their first child and Justin, who was named after Justin Finch-Fletchley, was their second.