before or between 1772 and 1781
Same colour as Draco's
Armand Malfoy (ancestor) +
Abraxas Malfoy (descendant) +
Demuirgo Malfoy (descendant) +
Lucius Malfoy II (descendant) +
Draco Malfoy (descendant) +
Caitlin Bellatrix Malfoy (descendant) +
Scorpius Malfoy (descendant) +
Future Tom Riddle II (descendant) +
Elm, 18" dragon heartstring (presumably)
Advisor to the minister
Ministry of Magic
Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Septimus Malfoy was a pure-blood wizard who lived during the late 18th century. He was influential in the Ministry of Magic, and many claimed that when he was served as an advisor the Ministry of Magic Unctuous Osbert was little more than his puppet.
Septimus is a Latin word for "seventh." This naming may be an attempt to draw reference to the powerful magical properties of the number seven.
Behind the scenes
- In 1992, Harry Potter, speaking about Draco Malfoy, said, "Look at his family... The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin, he's always boasting about it". This indicates that Septimus was most likely a Slytherin if he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, though it cannot be confirmed.
- In 1997 a portrait was hung in Malfoy Manor showing a wizard; Septimus may be that wizard.
- Oddly, Septimus is a name that also appears on the Weasley family tree, an almost rival family of the Malfoys in later years.
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- These are the latest years that Septimus could have been born, which would make him 17 at some point during the term(s) of Unctuous Osbert (1789-1798). Presumably, however, Septimus wasn't as young as seventeen when he was advisor and older.
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Malfoy Family" at Pottermore
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The writing on the wall)